The University of Malawi is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for selection into the following University of Malawi programmes for the 2013/2014 academic year.
1. PROGRAMMES OFFERED
(i) Domasi College
a) Bachelor of Education (Language) – 4 years
b) Bachelor of Education (Science) – 4 years
c) Bachelor of Education (Social Studies) – 4 years
(ii) Chancellor College
d) Bachelor of Education (Language) – 4 years
e) Bachelor of Education (Science) – 4 years
f) Bachelor of Education (Social Studies) – 4 years
g) Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies– 4 years
h) Bachelor of Arts (Humanities)– 4 years
i) Bachelor of Arts (Media for Development) – 4 years
j) Bachelor of Arts (Theology) – 4 years
k) Bachelor of Science – 4 years
l) Bachelor of Arts (Political Science) – 4 Years
m) Bachelor of Arts (Public Administration) – 4 years
n) Bachelor of Social Science – 4 years
(iii) College of Medicine
a) Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery – 6 years
b) Bachelor of Science Medical Laboratory Science (Hons) – 5 Years
c) Bachelor of Science Physiotherapy (Hons) – 5 years
d) Bachelor of Science Pharmacy (Hons) – 5 years
(iv) Kamuzu College of Nursing
a) Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Midwifery– 4 years
a) Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health – 4 years
b) Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science and Technology – 4 years
c) Bachelor of Science in Information Technology – 4 years
d) Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems – 4 years
e) Bachelor of Science in Mathematical Science Education – 4 years
f) Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies – 4 years
g) Bachelor of Science in Land Economy – 5 years
h) Bachelor of Science in Land Surveying – 5 years
i) Bachelor of Science in Physical Planning – 5 years
j) Bachelor of Science in Quantity Surveying – 5 years
k) Bachelor of Accountancy – 4 years
l) Bachelor of Business Administration – 4 years
m) Bachelor of Arts (Business Communication) – 4 years
n) Bachelor of Education (Business Studies) – 4 years)
o) Bachelor of Education/Science (Technical) – 4 years
p) Bachelor of Arts in Journalism – 4 years
q) Bachelor of Automobile Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
r) Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Transportation) (Hons) – 5 years
s) Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Water) (Hons) – 5 years
t) Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Structures) (Hons) – 5 years
u) Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
v) Bachelor of Electronics and Computer Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
w) Bachelor of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
x) Bachelor of Energy Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
y) Bachelor of Industrial Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
z) Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons) – 5 years
2. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
(i) General Requirements
- Applicants must have a Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE)/International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) or other internationally recognized qualifications comparable to ‘O’ level certificate with at least six credit passes including English Language obtained in 2012, 2011, or 2010;
- The following is the University of Malawi adaptation of IGCSE results for admission purposes: A*= 1; A = 2; B = 3; C = 5; D = 7; EFG = 8.
- Candidates who failed to satisfy the university entry requirements in 2010 or 2011 but successfully improved their grades after re-sit for up to a maximum of four subjects in 2011 or 2012 may use their supplementary statements for accumulating credits. Please note that applicants cannot use grades from two independent certificates, i.e. applicants who passed MSCE in 2010 or 2011and were awarded a full certificate and sat again MSCE in 2012 and obtained another full certificate cannot combine grades from the two independent certificates.
- Candidates who fulfil the above requirements will be required to sit for the University Entrance Examination in February 2013.
(ii) Candidates with Special Needs
- Special Needs candidates (e.g. visually impaired, e.t.c) who cannot take the University Entrance Examinations should apply to the University Registrar for a waiver prior to the examinations. Such candidates will be considered for selection based on the general criteria of six credits including English Language and specific faculty requirements.
b. All applications for a UEE waiver must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documents in the form of a photograph and a medical report issued by a registered medical practitioner.
(iv) Special Entry Requirements
- Candidates with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) must have a minimum score of 60% in four designated NSC subjects including English Language obtained in 2013, 2012 or 2011.
- Candidates with an Advanced Subsidiary (AS) Certificate must have at least grade ‘C’ in four AS-Level recognised subjects and one IGCSE credit including English Language obtained in 2013, 2012 or 2011.
- Candidates with A-Level qualifications must have passed at least three relevant subjects with an aggregate of not less than 9 points obtained in 2013, 2012 or 2011. A-level grades are interpreted as follows: A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1.
- Candidates with an International Baccalaureate (IB) must have a minimum of 30 points obtained in 2013, 2012 or 2011.
NB: Candidates with NSC, AS-Level, A-Levels and IB certificates are not required to take the University Entrance Examinations.
All candidates who were withdrawn from the University of Malawi or any comparable institution on academic grounds and those already registered with the University of Malawi or any comparable university as residential or non-residential students are not eligible for admission.
All candidates except those who are only using the 2012 MSCE results should send their application forms together with copies of their statement of results or certificates officially stamped and signed by the headmaster/headmistress of the secondary/high school where they wrote their examinations, or the District Education Manager, or the District Commissioner or any Commissioner of Oaths.
- ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS
- All successful candidates will be admitted on non-residential basis. Candidates who would like to be accommodated on campus will have to apply for the same and if accepted, they shall pay the College for their accommodation and meals.
- Because Colleges shall not have the capacity to accommodate all selected students on campus, allocation of college accommodation shall be done based on respective college criteria.
- 4. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Application forms can be obtained on written request or in person from the address given below, the Polytechnic, Kamuzu College of Nursing and the following affiliate colleges of the University of Malawi: St John of God College of Nursing, Malawi College of Forestry and Malawi College of Fisheries. The Application form can also be downloaded from the University of Malawi website:
Download 2013 Application Form
All applicants are strictly required to deposit a non-refundable application fee of K4,500.00 for Malawians with 2012 qualifications, K5,250.00 for Malawians with 2011 and 2010 qualifications and U$300.00 for international applicants to the following bank account:
|STANDARD BANK OF MALAWI|
|Account Name||UNIMA Entrance Examination|
Duly completed application forms together with a copy of the bank deposit slip bearing the name of the candidate and proof of payment of an appropriate application fee should be sent to the address given below and not to any constituent/affiliate college of the University of Malawi.
The address for obtaining and submitting application forms is:
The University Registrar
P.O. Box 278
(Attention: Admissions Office)
The closing date for receiving applications is Tuesday, 11th January 2013.
NOTE: BEGINNING THIS YEAR, CANDIDATES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO APPLY AT UEE CENTRES DURING REGISTRATION FOR THE EXAMINATION.