COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
Bachelor of science (Bsc) in General Surgery for Clinical Officers
The College of Medicine (COM) is inviting applications from eligible clinical officers, for selection into a BSc in General Surgery. This is a three year BSc program comprised of modular courses at COM, Central hospitals and on-the-job-training in district hospitals. This is a new degree course, recently accredited by the University of Malawi, and is scheduled to commence early 2013
1. PROGRAMME DESCRIPTION
The BSc in General Surgery is a new clinical specialty degree course for clinical officers, comprising:
- An initial 6 month period spent at the College of Medicine, Blantyre, followed by
- 18 months on the job training in one of 8 designated district hospitals located in the Southern or Central Regions. During this time there will be short periods of instruction and training at the College of Medicine and at Central Hospitals.
- This first cohort of Clinical Officers, whose tuition fees and costs will be covered by the COST-Africa project will spend a further 12 months at district hospital level participating in an evaluation programme
- The final year will be based in one of the Central hospitals. Progression through the programme and into this final year will be contingent on the candidates:
Interested candidates should have:
MSCE, “O” Level, IGCSE or GCE with 6 credits which include English and Mathematics
- A Diploma in Clinical Medicine or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- at least two years working experience as clinical officer providing surgical and other clinical care at a district or rural hospital
Candidates should further demonstrate evidence of:
- Leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to and experience of doing surgery
- Excellence in data recording and record keeping
- Academic capacity and potential
- Commitment to providing clinical services at district or rural/mission hospitals in Malawi
3. Tuition fee:
The tuition fee for the programme is K550, 000.00 per academic year
The Clinical Officer Surgical Training in Africa (COST Africa) project in collaboration with Ministry of Health (MOH) will offer scholarships covering tuition fees to successful candidates.
5. Application Procedure
Click here to download application forms.
Applicants are strictly required to deposit a non-refundable application fee of K5, 250.00 to the following Standard Bank of Malawi account: Account Name UNIMA Entrance Examination, Account Number 0140061008400, Branch Zomba Branch, Swift Code SBICMWMX
Applicants are further required to send their application forms, bank stamped deposit slip together with the following supporting documents:
a) Certified copies of certificates and authenticated academic transcript from a college or examining body.
b) Reference letter from the current employer showing proof of required work experience
c) Curriculum vitae (CV) with names and contact details of three referees.
Duly completed application forms together with relevant supporting documents should be sent to:
The University Registrar,
Attention: Admissions Office
P.O. Box 278
E-mail: email@example.com and not directly to College of Medicine
Download application forms
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS IS 7th JANUARY 2013