REPORTING TO: Project Coordinator/Dean of Postgraduate Studies & Research
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
A College of Medicine Clinical Laboratory Facility (CLF) management team is being assembled. This has created the current opportunity for a Commercial Manager. This is a key appointment.
Reporting to Project coordinator and accountable to Dean of Postgraduate studies and Research, the Commercial Manager will be the key strategic leadership role in developing the product characteristics and market opportunity for the wider while securing commercial contracts for CLF and member organisations. This role is the driving role for the Commercial success of CLF and requires a long term and strategic vision on a broad commercial front.
The post holder will be accountable for developing and maintaining a sales pipeline model for CLF, prospecting activities, bid-managing individual sales prospects and co-ordinating bid activities across our partner members in support of this.
The Commercial Manager will lead on developing the sales and marketing strategy for CLF including definition of its commercial offering and internal supporting processes.
Maintenance and delivery of the sales pipeline is critical to the continued operation of CLF. The Commercial Manager should be comfortable with working in a start-up environment that operates across both public and private sectors and internationally, and the post holder may be required to assume additional roles on a temporary basis.
• In partnership with the Laboratory Manager, ensures the establishment of the CLF, its team of personnel and delivers the goals of the project according to the stated deadlines.
• Ensures the long-term sustainability of the Centre as a thriving and profitable business.
• Establishes and promotes the commercial potential for CLF in pharma/biotech/hospitals/research institutions through conference attendance/generating thought-leadership publications and via other marketing vehicles.
• In partnership with the Laboratory Manager ensures establishment and delivery of electronic laboratory and financial management systems (LIMS).
• Develops relationships with decision makers in pharma/biotech and government or private healthcare pay or/provider organisations.
• Develops short/medium/long term business plans and objectives by identifying potential customer organisations and fee-for-service testing market. Leads the development of the long term/strategic commercial model in consultation with key internal and customer stakeholders and “owns” the derived model.
• Develops, tests and validates the market value for the derived model.
• Establishes the appropriate commercial systems and processes required to support the operation of the Commercial team.
• Presents market analysis and client recruitment to the CLF Executive Board meetings.
• Motivates and mentors Commercial team to meet business model objectives. Manages and oversees Commercial Group budgets.
• Evaluates, proposes and develops new commercial offerings for CLF based on customer interactions.
• Manages bid process for specific requests for proposals. Delivers” customer bid process.
• Responds to customer feedback as appropriate.
• Negotiates with clients to resolve bid or proposal objections
• Prepares final statements of work and contracts.
• Continually updates job knowledge by reading professional publications, maintenance of personal networks, participation in conference meetings and professional organisations.
• Ensures compliance of Commercial Group operations in line with University, local and national regulations.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
Knowledge & Experience (including qualifications)
• Degree or post-graduate qualification in a relevant scientific discipline in a relevant scientific/business area.
• Knowledge and experience of account management methodologies and processes and their application in a commercial environment.
• Knowledge of the pharmaceutical/biotech/CRO industry, its imperatives, drivers, processes and current issues.
• Up to date knowledge and awareness of clinical/pharmaceutical trials process
• Solid understanding of disease areas and therapeutic medicine applications.
• Knowledge and experience of contractual, IP, financial, and governance issues associated with complex collaborations involving university and industry partners and their application to contracts.
• Understands the decision-making processes operating within pharma/biotech/CRO companies.
• Highly developed knowledge relating to the development of commercial products and services.
• Experienced in personnel management.
• Understands the broader Malawian Life Sciences market, and has good knowledge and connections within local networks as well as wider networks in the Global Industrial field.
• Knowledge of value of account management software tools and their utility in a small start-up company environment.
• PhD/MD in Life Sciences/medical disciplines.
• Entrepreneurial approach – with the ability to identify opportunities, develop and implement them.
• Ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships – builds and maintains relationships at multiple levels within the customer base leading to long-term benefits to the Centre.
• Excellent networking and prospecting skills.
• Exceptional planning skills – self organising with ability to simultaneously manage multiple prospecting short/medium and long-term market development activities
• Personnel management skills (including junior reports) and ability to influence and lead at all levels within the organisation
• Ability to proactively engage with senior level customer and partners with an effective and solution-focussed collaborative approach.
• Negotiating skills, track record in driving consensus and negotiating a way forward in a multi-stakeholder, collaborative environment.
• Client relationship and successful market development skills in the Pharma/Biotech/CRO industry.
• Industrial research or clinical development skills and background.
• Consultative selling skills.
Send Applications to:
College of Medicine
Private Bag 360