College of Medicine- African Center of Excellence for Public Health and Herbal Medicine (ACEPHEM)
REPORTING TO:Deputy Centre Leader
1.MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
- The role is responsible for leading and managing laboratories and associated faculty and students’ experiments through equipment management, procurement, installation and validation in liaison with laboratory technicians, principal investigators, faculty and students.
- Reporting to the Deputy Centre Leader, the role will also advise the Programme Management Team on compliance of laboratories to required standards and mitigation of risks associated with equipment and reagents.
- Develop a clear understanding of College of Medicine’s strategic laboratory objectives and how these correlate
- Scope, plan and manage the delivery of the assigned laboratory infrastructure and services
- Develop, implement and maintain a set of laboratory procedures (documents such as laboratory safety documents and plan, Emergency procedures and evacuation, equipment validation and quality assurance strategies and communications plans and supporting management systems) needed to achieve successful implementation
- Manage risks associated with laboratory environment and laboratory waste management
- Work with the Deputy Centre Director to ensure the program planning for equipment and laboratory set up
- Supervise and support laboratory technicians within collaborating laboratories
- Develop and maintain an expert working knowledge of laboratory management and therefore be a point of reference, information and expertise
- Pro-actively manage the quality and performance of the laboratory equipment in compliance with international standards
- Manage the programme budget for laboratory equipment and other resources where designated/appropriate to do so.
3.COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
Knowledge & Experience (including qualifications)
- Managing large-scale laboratory equipment, reagents and associated resources
- Managing laboratory experiments and placements for both faculty, undergraduate and post graduate students, and visiting researchers
- Managing multiple work-streams dealing with different experimental needs
- Managing multiple stakeholders needs in laboratory setup
- A minimum of a Master’s degree plus a four year Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, chemistry, Environmental sciences or related sciences
- Experience of managing specific equipment for chemistry analysis and bioactivity studies
- Laboratory managerial/supervisory experience
- Research laboratory Management (scoping, planning and execution)
- Understanding of the issues surrounding execution of laboratory based programmes and projects.
- Proven experience of problem solving and analytical skills
- Risk and laboratory management
- Ability to prioritise and manage conflicts (people and tasks)
- Networking, engagement, persuasion, influencing and communications skills
- Written, oral and presentations skills
- Ability to show tact and diplomacy managing sensitive issues in a discreet manner
- Proven commercial acumen i.e. Value for Money (VFM), Return on Investment (ROI)
- Strategically aware with the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ but able to translate and describe in detailed plan form
- Proven leadership and people management skills.
- Ability to build effective collaborative relationships with a wide range of professionals within and outside the College of Medicine
- Ability to lead multi-disciplinary and multi-agency groups to achieve the optimum outcome for all parties.
- Ability to set plans at a strategic level incorporating aggressive timescales and manage to successful completion
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to understand the strategic aims and objectives of the organisation and be able to work at a strategic level with senior members of staff
- Overseeing budget allocation to laboratory equipment, reagents and consumables
- The post will have line management responsibility for a team of subordinates and Programme Support staff
Duty Station: Blantyre, Malawi
For questions: Please send via email to: Dr Fanuel Lampiao- Deputy Center Director (email@example.com)
Copy: Prof Adamson S. Muula- Center Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Send Applications to: The Registrar (HR)
ACEPHEM Laboratory Manager
College of Medicine
Private Bag 360
Chichiri, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Email address: email@example.com
Deadline: 20th February 2017