College of Medicine- African Center of Excellence for Public Health and Herbal Medicine (ACEPHEM)
REPORTING TO:DEPUTY CENTER DIRECTOR
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M& E) Officer is a member of the ACEPHEM Management and provides technical assistance in: general program monitoring and evaluation; ACEPHEM and partner staff use of a Web-based management information system; developing indicators for monitoring ACEPHEM performance; developing and maintaining the ACEPHEM Performance Management Plan and project-level monitoring and evaluation plans; supporting project design; producing annual reports on ACEPHEM performance; and supporting ACEPHEM to learn from and make decisions based on monitoring and evaluation data.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Monitoring and Evaluation
Lead ACEPHEM in establishing performance measures, collecting and analyzing performance information, planning and managing evaluations and assisting the Center’s management in using the performance information for decision-making and resource allocation.
1. Advise Management in designing and planning for evaluations, special studies and assessments.
2. Coordinate the creation and review of the Program, Design and Learning budget to provide adequate financial resources for evaluations, special studies and assessments.
3. Provide input into the design, implementation and dissemination of evaluations, special studies and assessments.
4. Coordinate the creation of ACEPHEM’s Performance Monitoring Plan including assessing the validity of the information and indicators that contribute to that plan.
5. Assist the Task Teams to select data collection methods for adequate monitoring and evaluation of implementing partners’ performance and of the program as a whole (these methods may include field visits, quarterly reports, specialized surveys and other sources of information. Assist Task Teams in reviewing these methods and making improvements to their monitoring and evaluation.
6. Coordinate the regular review of progress towards achieving Task Objectives by Management through program reviews, portfolio reviews or other processes.
7. Encourage the use of performance information in resource allocation decisions by the Team Leaders and management through leading discussions, preparing analysis or other measures.
8. Seek ways to streamline the process and increase efficiency in gathering and using performance information.
9. Coordinate the process for updating policy and procedure documents in the areas of monitoring and evaluation to align with the most current University of Malawi’s Polices and requirements. Seek ways to increase transparency of ACEPHEM’s system of reviewing results and use of performance information.
10. Work as a Point of Contact for Evaluation in ACEPHEM and provide guidance to technical teams on issues related to monitoring and evaluation.
11.Communicate with the respective members College of Medicine management on issues related with monitoring and evaluation.
12Assist Management in building local M&E capacities in ACEPHEM and the wider College of Medicine community
13.Manage evaluation contracts and agreements
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
- Education: Degree in a development field, social science, economics, or relevant discipline.
- Prior Work Experience: Minimum of three years of progressively responsible professional experience in a performance monitoring and/or evaluation role with an international development organization (those with World Bank funding experience will have an advantage).
- Desirable: Specialized courses in programming of foreign assistance, management, leadership, ethics, monitoring and evaluation and various specialized databases and computer programs.
- Job Knowledge: Demonstrated ability in data analysis, project design, monitoring, and evaluation of development activities. Experience developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design is required. Experience developing and/or using performance management plans or similar tools is required. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in monitoring and evaluating programs—including indicator development, study design, and data analysis—in multiple sectors. Experience using knowledge management software or database is highly desired. Experience managing grants or contracts is also highly desired.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent research and data collection methodology skills
- Ability to create organizational work plans based on higher-level goals
- Ability to lead and coordinate multiple offices through multiple step processes without being a direct supervisor (although appropriate authority will be given)
- Skills in supporting staff with a variety of levels of knowledge and capabilities
- Strong organizational skills in order to balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with mid and high level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities.
- Ability to apply University of Malawi regulations and procedures to daily work requirements
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet programs and data base management
- Supervision Received: Supervision is provided by the Deputy Centre Director. They will provide oversight and are available to discuss assignment priorities, make special assignments when appropriate, or to consult on complex, unusual or particularly unique tasks. Routine tasks are performed independently. Work is reviewed for validity, reasonableness, productivity and effectiveness.
- Exercise of Judgment: The Officer is expected to exercise initiative and independent judgment based on his/her comprehensive knowledge of development programs. The Officer must also exercise competent business judgment in dealing effectively with internal and external clients. He/she exercises initiative and independence in performing standard duties in full compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and procedures.
- Authority to Make Commitments: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer has the authority to prioritize own work load, but will not make commitments on behalf of the ACEPHEM nor the University of Malawi.
- Nature, Level and Purpose of Contacts: Daily direct contact with the Senior Management Team (SMT), senior level managers and executives of outside organizations and individuals is required to effectively complete assigned tasks. The Officer interacts with full array of students and trainees, College of Medicine staff and may be asked to represent ACEPHEM before external stakeholders. Contacts with outside organizations and implementing partners are required in order to fulfill the responsibilities described above.
Duty Station: Blantyre, Malawi
For questions: Please send via email to: Dr Fanuel Lampiao- Deputy Center Director (email@example.com)
Copy: Prof Adamson S. Muula- Center Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Send Applications to: The Registrar (HR)
Re: ACEPHEM M& E officer
College of Medicine
Private Bag 360
Chichiri, Blantyre 3, Malawi
Deadline: 18th February 2017